Navigation

Antlers of protection

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional

Valid CSS!

Early Days of Lodge 572

The following is a timeline of the early years of Murphysboro Lodge 572. The information comes mostly from Lodge meeting records. Records were located from the very first organizational meeting of our Lodge in 1900 into late 1929. The books containing information after that time were unfortunately destroyed by moisture, rodents, and neglect. These excerpts give an insight into how lodges in our region were formed, how they operated, and the challenges they faced. Information presented in this timeline is as complete (or incomplete) as provided in the minutes recorded. Comments and/or additional information are presented in brackets [example].

It became apparent from examining these old records that back when our Lodge was formed, people wishing to form a Lodge presented a list of proposed members to the nearest Elks Lodge for investigation.  If approved, the District Deputy and the officers of the existing Lodge would institute the new Lodge and install its charter officers. As you will see, our Lodge was instrumental in the formation of several Elks Lodges in our area…


April 9, 1900 — [first recorded meeting] — "at a meeting held in Dr. O.L. Daniel's office on Monday evening April 9th, 1900 ... the object of the meeting was to elect officers and prefect the organization of a Lodge of Elks in this City" ...officers were nominated and elected. H.O.  [Hawkins Ozburn] Murphy was chosen as the first Exalted Ruler of the proposed Lodge.

[Hawkins Ozburn Murphy has considerable history in Murphysboro and Southern Illinois as a whole. Information about his father, one of the original movers-and-shakers in Southern Illinois, and Hawkins Ozburn can be found here]

April 23, 1900 — a meeting was held in the Knights of Pythias hall for the purpose of organizing Murphysboro Lodge 572.  The District Deputy B.N. Custer and officers of the Belleville Lodge instituted Lodge 572 and installed the first officers.  Money [initiation fee] was collected — 27 members @ $15 each.  Disbursements paid at the meeting included $25 train fare for the Belleville officers.  Following the ceremony, a banquet was held at the Central Hotel.

June 15th, 1900 — first mention of membership dues being collected: $3.00 each.

September 21, 1900 — first regular Lodge meeting was held [up to this point, all meetings were indicated as being special sessions].  A communication was received from the Grand Exalted Ruler regarding a flood [hurricane] in Galveston, Texas.  A committee was appointed to solicit donations for the flood victims.[the hurricane that hit Galveston is still considered to be one of the worst hurricanes to hit the United States]

November 2, 1900 — the committee appointed to raise funds for Galveston flood sufferers reported that 16 members contributed 50 each for a total of $8.00 to be forwarded to the Grand Secretary.

November 16th, 1900 — a bill was read and approved for payment of $25.00 for rent going back to September 1 [indicating the Lodge had secured a rented location for meetings.  The Murphysboro city directory of the time indicates the Elks rented two rooms for their use.  The rooms are believed to have been located in the Van Cloostere building, above the Square Deal clothing store on the northwest corner of Walnut and 10th Street. That building is still standing as of 2010.]

December 21st, 1900 — a communication was read from Cairo, Illinois regarding establishment of a Lodge in that city.

December 27th, 1900 — a special session was held for a visit from the committee from Cairo wishing to form a Lodge in their city.  A list of charter members was presented, discussed, and approved by the members of Lodge 572.

February 15th, 1901 — members of Leonidas Lodge #87 of the Knights of Pythias, asked to use the Lodge for meetings after their facility was destroyed by fire.  Lodge members voted to extend an invitation and make arrangements for rental of our facility until the Leonidas Lodge could make other arrangements.  [According to newspaper archives, there was a large fire on February 12th which also destroyed the businesses of Lodge members William Roberts (Lodge secretary) and Frank Boettner].  A resolution was drawn up and recorded expressing the sympathy of the Lodge to these members for their losses.

April 5, 1901 — a communication from the Paducah Elks Lodge was read inviting members of Lodge 572 to an Elks carnival in May.  A committee was appointed to determine how many brothers would attend, and to communicate with the Lodges in Belleville and East St. Louis to arrange for all members to travel together on one train.

November 1st, 1901 — a committee was appointed to plan for a carnival and street fair.

November 15th, 1901 — the fair committee reported the fair would be the 3rd week of May, 1902.

December 6th, 1901 — first bylaws of Lodge 572 were presented and adopted.

May 2nd, 1902 — Lodge member W. Dowell presented the Lodge with 3 or 4 gavels (perhaps the same ones we use today?)

June 20th, 1902 — a communication was received from the District Deputy regarding a list of charter members for a proposed Lodge in Marion.

July 11th, 1902 — while there was no mention of the street fair in the minutes when it occurred back in May, a motion was made at this meeting to order the street fair committee to make a full report at the next meeting on July 18th.

July 13th, 1902 — Lodge officers met to perform a memorial service for departed Lodge member John Fox.  [This is the first record of a memorial service performed by officers of Lodge 572.  Unfortunately, they performed their second memorial service just 3 days later.]

July 18th, 1902 — the street fair committee failed to make a report.  A motion is made compelling the committee to make a full and complete report under penalty of the laws of the order.  The list of charter members for a proposed Lodge in Marion was read and a committee was dispatched to perform a personal investigation of said list.

July 22nd, 1902 — a special meeting was called to hear the reports of the investigating committee regarding the proposed Elks Lodge in Marion.  The committee reported favorably.  A committee was appointed to arrange transportation to Marion.

July 25th, 1902 — plans were made to contract with Illinois Central Rail Road for a special train to transport Lodge officers and a concert band to Marion on August 1st for institution of Marion Lodge and installation of Marion officers.

September 26th, 1902 — the street fair committee is granted an additional week to make its report [regarding the May street fair].

October 24th, 1902 — the street fair committee made its final report, showing a net gain to the Lodge of $360.92

December 19th, 1902 — Lodge members discussed dispensing of charity to “worthy poor” of Murphysboro and a charity committee was appointed to determine how to proceed.

December 26th, 1902 — the charity committee reported approximately $200.00 worth of food and coal was distributed to the poor on Christmas Day.

March 27th, 1903 — election of Lodge officers is held.  W. H. Basten becomes second Exalted Ruler of Lodge 572.  The Lodge secretary is instructed to pay Grand Lodge a per capita tax of 25 per member [for current membership of 113].

September 18th, 1903 — a list of charter members for a proposed Lodge in Du Quoin is received and read.  An investigating committee is appointed to visit Du Quoin.

October 2nd, 1903 — the investigating committee reports favorably on proposed Du Quoin Lodge.  Grand Lodge to be notified and District Deputy to be contacted with request to institute a new Lodge in Du Quoin on October 15th.  A member is appointed to investigate what arrangements could be made for a special train to Du Quoin for the institution of the new Lodge.  [The exact date of institution of the Du Quoin Lodge appears to have taken place after October 15th but before November 13th, as bills related to the trip were presented and approved on November 13th.]

December 18th, 1903 — Lodge 572 votes to join the state organization of Elks.

December 25th, 1903 — a committee is appointed to investigate and give assistance as they deem necessary to a widow [name not listed] living on 14th Street, Murphysboro.

October 7th, 1904 — Proposal made to enter into a lease with Mr. Van Cloostere [from whom current lodge space is rented] to rent two rooms over Square Deal store and the second and third floors of the Rainbow and Thomas building for an annual rent of $300.  The rental space is to be fixed up at the expense of the Lodge.

October 14th, 1904 — a committee is appointed to confer with Mr. Van Cloostere and an architect regarding proposed changes to the new rental space.

October 21st, 1904 — the committee is granted authority to make changes, additions, and improvements to new rental space as they see fit for purpose of the Lodge.

November 11th, 1904 — the Lodge trustees report that the lease for the new Lodge space has been secured.

December 23, 1904 — a committee is appointed to "distribute alms to the needy and worthy poor of this city" and give a report at the next meeting.

December 30, 1904 — the committee appointed at the previous meeting reports distribution of $29.50 in merchandise, $12.25 in coal, and $3.00 in cash to the needy of the community.

February 4th, 1905 — a house committee is appointed to govern the club room.  The Lodge Secretary is directed to invite sister Lodges to initiation on February 10th.

February 10th, 1905 — twelve new members are initiated.

March 3rd, 1905 — a committee is appointed to draft rules governing “ladies day.”

September 13th, 1907 — Joseph Van Cloostere, from whom the Lodge rents space, reports a room has been vacated by one of his tenants.  A motion is made and passed to secure said room as additional space.

October 4th, 1907 — a decision is made to hold a public memorial service on the first Sunday in December.

June 10th, 1908 — "The attention of all Elks was called to the fact that June 15th would be observed as Flag Day.”

June 26th, 1908 — the death of Dr. O.L. Daniel, one of the charter members of Lodge 572, was reported.

October 30th, 1908 — the death of Peter M. Post, one of the charter members of Lodge 572, was reported.

March 26th, 1909 — following an enthusiastic speech by newly-elected exalted ruler Otis F. Glenn, a preliminary committee was appointed to "devise ways and means for the building of an Elks Hall and club rooms."

April 2, 1909 — a report by the Lodge secretary indicates membership stands at 199 members.

April 9th, 1909 — a decision is made to celebrate the 9th anniversary of Lodge 572 on April 23rd.

April 23rd, 1909 — at the celebration of the 9th anniversary of Lodge 572, the following charter members each spoke: W.H. Basten, Thomas John, R.J. McElvain, W.S. Roberts, Mike Levy, and Ben T. Williams.  The preliminary building committee made a partial report, followed by enthusiastic discussion about their report.  Every member is given a membership application to use in building the membership of the Lodge.

April 30th, 1909 — the preliminary building committee is replaced by a formal building committee to proceed with plans for construction of an Elks hall.

May 14th, 1909 — 12 proposed members are reported on favorably; 19 proposals for membership are received.

May 21st, 1909 — 21 proposals for membership are received.

May 28th, 1909 — 6 proposals for membership are received.

June 14th, 1909 — initiation of new members is held, coinciding with Flag Day celebration.

June 18th, 1909 — bills from Flag Day indicate quite a large celebration took place.  Plans are made for an excursion for Elks and their families by train to Grand Tower, then to Commerce and Thebes on the steamboat Cape Girardeau, then back to Murphysboro by train.

October 1st, 1909 — it was announced that Brother Ben T. Williams was appointed District Deputy by the Grand Exalted Ruler.  Proposal is made to host a lecture by Congressman William A. Rodenberg.  Proceeds from the event will be devoted to charity, with St. Andrews hospital named as the beneficiary.

November 17th, 1909 — following a mine disaster in Cherry, Illinois, the membership votes to send a donation of $50 for the relief of the families of the miners. [259 miners perished in an underground fire]

December 8th, 1909 — the committee which organized the lecture by congressman Rodenburg turned in $338.50 generated by the event, which was then forwarded to St. Andrews hospital.

February 9th, 1910 — it was decided that the Ladies of the Elks of this Lodge will be granted exclusive use of the club rooms on Tuesday afternoons from 1 to 5 p.m.  It was also decided that the Lodge would take the necessary steps to become a member of the state association.

April 13th, 1910 — a report by the Lodge secretary shows membership now stands at 278.

April 20th, 1910 — plans are made for another train and steamboat excursion as was held the previous year.

May 4th, 1910 — it was decided that tickets for the train & boat excursion would be offered free of charge to widows and minor children of deceased members.

June 1st, 1910 — District Deputy Ben T. Williams urged the Lodge to take preliminary steps in building a home [Lodge building].  The Exalted Ruler requested all members to display the American flag on their homes and places of business on Flag Day, June 13th.

June 8th, 1910 — the committee in charge of the boat & train excursion reported that 209 tickets were sold or given away at a price of $1.25 each.

June 15th, 1910 — Herrin Lodge asks for a baseball game to be held between members of the two Lodges.  A committee is appointed to organize a team.

June 22nd, 1910 — the building committee is discharged, and a new committee is to be appointed.  The committee charged to form a baseball team is given $150 to outfit the team.  Joseph Van Cloostere, from whom Lodge 572 had rented space since its formation, is initiated along with 15 others.

December 28th, 1910 — the building committee is again discharged, and another new committee is to be appointed.

March 1st, 1911 — the building committee recommends raising capital for a Lodge building by establishing a stock corporation, selling shares to Lodge members for $100 each.  After the report, purchases of $4300 of said stock were immediately pledged.

April 5th, 1911 — a report by the Lodge secretary shows membership now stands at 314.

May 10th, 1911 — a list of 81 charter members for a proposed Lodge in Carbondale is received and approved.  The excursion committee reports prices for this year's excursion: 66 cents for train from Murphysboro to Chester and 94 cents for train from Thebes back to Murphysboro.  The boat portion of the excursion will cost 50 cents.

May 17th, 1911 — it is decided the annual excursion will take place on Tuesday, June 30th.  Cape Girardeau Lodge will be invited to travel as guests of Lodge 572 for a portion of the trip.

September 27th, 1911 — an assessment is levied of 25 cents per member by Grand Lodge for the building of a national Elks Home.  Payment of $86.25 is agreed to be sent, indicating membership now stands at 345 members.

January 3rd, 1912 — Exalted Ruler Gus Blair offers a prize of a life membership, paid by himself, to the member securing the largest number of accepted new member applications between now and the end of February.

March 27th, 1912 — 21 new members are initiated.

April 3rd, 1912 — the annual report by the Lodge secretary indicates Lodge membership stands at 355 members.

May 1st, 1912 — plans are made for the annual excursion by train to and from Chester with a trip on the steamer Cape Girardeau.  Tickets will be sold for $1.50 for adults and 75 for children under the age of 12.

May 29th, 1912 — a report by the excursion committee showed 312 adult and 30 child tickets had been sold.  More than 20 members of Chester Lodge joined the excursion for the boat trip.

March 19th, 1913 — upon recommendation of the building committee, membership dues are increased to $9 per year, with all dues collected over $6 to be set aside for a building fund and deposited into an account gathering interest.

April 2nd, 1913 — the annual report by the Lodge secretary shows Lodge membership now stands at 359 members.

May 7th, 1913 — plans for the annual excursion will include an all-day trip on the river aboard a steamboat out of Grand Tower.  Tickets to be sold for $1.50 from Murphysboro and $1.80 from Carbondale, indicating members of Carbondale Lodge are being invited to participate.  A later report indicated 412 tickets were sold.

June 18th, 1913 — a special meeting was called for business related to selecting a site for construction of an Elks home.  A resolution was presented that Exalted Ruler David Baer had purchased a plot of land which was to be titled under the names of the Lodge trustees.  The trustees were authorized to borrow money as needed to purchase the land for the Lodge from ER Baer.  It was decided that a committee will be appointed to devise plans and specifications for an Elks home.

June 25th, 1913 — a committee was appointed to arrange for the financing, planning, building, and completion of an Elks building.

October 1st, 1913 — membership now stands at 391 members.

April 1st, 1914 — the annual report by the Lodge secretary shows Lodge membership now stands at 406 members.

May 27th, 1914 — the building committee reported that plans and specifications for the Elks building have been approved.  Plans for raising the necessary funds for construction were discussed and approved.

February 3rd, 1915 — a committee was appointed to plan the annual Lodge excursion.

April 1st, 1915 — the annual report by the Lodge secretary shows Lodge membership now stands at 375 members.  The entertainment committee reported that the following events were held over the past year: six motion picture shows, four dances, and a show at the Tilford Theater.

April 15th, 1915 — the excursion committee reported plans for an excursion have been abandoned.

May 13th, 1915 — plans were made to hire a band and a special train for a trip to East St. Louis for the state convention.  Members attending the convention will participate in a parade wearing a uniform consisting of a white hat with purple band, purple tie, white gloves, cane, and a pennant. [official colors of the Elks are purple and white]

September 2, 1915 — a committee is appointed to secure the transfer of all Elks living in this area, who are members of other Lodges, to Murphysboro Lodge.

October 7th, 1915 — the semi-annual report by the Lodge secretary shows that membership stands at 374.

December 2nd, 1915 — a committee is appointed for planning the annual steamboat excursion.

January 6th, 1916 — a committee is appointed to solicit applications for re-instatement of desirable members who had previously been dropped for non-payment of dues.

March 30th, 1916 — the excursion committee reports the excursion will take place on June 1 on the steamboat Alton.  Members of Carbondale and Cairo Lodges will be invited to participate.

April 1st, 1916 — the annual report by the Lodge secretary shows Lodge membership stands at 350.

April 13th, 1916 — a committee is appointed and authorized to "devise ways and means, finance and build an exclusive Elk's home" on the property owned by Lodge 572.

May 4th, 1916 — the House committee is instructed to have a lock installed on the club rooms and keys sold, at cost, to members in good standing.

May 18th, 1916 — officers of the Lodge were instructed to make arrangements for celebration of Flag Day.

May 30th, 1916 — 30 new members are initiated.

June 8th, 1916 — committees were appointed to make arrangements for music and an automobile parade for Flag Day.

July 6th, 1916 — 13 new members are initiated.

July 13th, 1916 — a resolution is made to borrow money from the Southern Illinois Building and Loan Association of Murphysboro for construction of the Lodge building up to a maximum of $20,000.  Additional money for completion of the building will be borrowed from Lodge members.  The resolution was approved.

August 24th, 1917 — payment was made to architect R.Z. Gill for work related to the Lodge building.

September 7th, 1916 — money was paid for bonding of contractor L.W. Peters.

September 14th, 1916 — the building committee is authorized to borrow money as necessary for construction.

September 28th, 1916 — a request was received from the mayor of Murphysboro for a representative from the Lodge to serve on a board which would plan and execute a Christmas tree for the poor.  A member was appointed to the board.

October 5th, 1916 — the semi-annual report by the Lodge secretary shows Lodge membership stands at 404.

October 12th, 1916 — a committee is appointed to furnish the new building once completed. The cornerstone of the new Elks home was laid on this date.  Within the stone was placed: a list of officers and committees, a roster of current members, coins of the current year, and copies of the Independent and Republican-Era newspapers.

December 7th, 1916 — a motion is made and passed that a medical examination [for new applicants] will no longer be required.

December 21st, 1916 — a committee is appointed to raise funds for furnishing the new Elks home.

December 28th, 1916 — annual membership dues are increased to $12; life membership fee raised to $200.

January 7th, 1917 — a committee is appointed to plan for an excursion on or around June 15th.

January 11th, 1917 — a committee is appointed to make arrangements for the dedication of the new Lodge home.

January 18th, 1917 — a letter was received from the Executive Committee of the Commercial Association [a local organization] urging the Lodge to assist in securing two large factories to the area by purchasing lots in the Mt. Carbon subdivision.  The Lodge pledged itself by purchasing two lots.

February 22nd, 1917 — 12 new members are initiated.

March 22nd, 1917 — 20 new members are initiated.

March 26th, 1917 — 16 new members are initiated.

April 5th, 1917 — annual report by the Lodge secretary shows Lodge membership stands at 350.

April 19th, 1917 — 22 new members are initiated.

April 26th, 1917 — bill presented for furniture for new Murphysboro Elks home.

May 3rd, 1917 — 12 new members are initiated.

May 17th, 1917 — instructions are given to plant flowers in tubs on roof of new home, so they will train over the pergola [indicating building is basically complete].

June 7th, 1917 — motion made and carried that members who are in the service of the United States [in World War I] whose dues are in danger of lapsing will have their dues paid by the Lodge.

July 26th, 1917 — Vans Band offers to give a free concert on the roof garden of the new home.

August 2nd, 1917 — two bills are paid for moving services, indicating the Lodge is moving into the new home.

September 6th, 1917 — a circular from Grand Lodge is read and discussed regarding the nation-wide effort to conserve food [to make as much food available as possible for the military].

October 4th, 1917 — "an informal meeting of the officers of the Lodge and several members was held to transact the necessary monthly business, the Board of Health having forbidden lodge session" [indicating perhaps the meeting took place within the new building before the Health Department had declared it complete and ready for use].  Report submitted during the meeting shows membership stands at 545.

November 15th, 1917 — decision is made that the new Elks home will be dedicated on Wednesday, November 28th.  Motion made and carried to purchase cigarettes or other suitable presents and forward same to two members [serving in the military] in France.  Motion made and seconded to form a committee to arrange for Christmas presents to be sent to members at [military] training camps in this country.

November 28th, 1917 — new Elks home dedicated "with impressive ceremonies.”

November 29th, 1917 — motion made and carried that ladies be allowed the use of the Ladies Parlor any time the building is open, but this privilege is limited to the parlor, except on occasions for the families of members or the public.

December 20th, 1917 — the committee on Christmas gifts to members in the service reports sending packages containing cigarettes, cards, chewing gum, trench mirror, pocket comb, three handkerchiefs, and a Christmas card to members in the service who had not previously received anything.  Motion made and carried that any soldier or sailor, resident of Murphysboro, be extended the courtesy of the club while on furlough.

March 7th, 1918 — H.O. Murphy, charter member and first exalted ruler of Lodge 572, was re-instated.

April 4th, 1918 — the annual report by the Lodge secretary shows Lodge membership stands at 540.

October 1st, 1918 — the semi-annual report by the Lodge secretary shows Lodge membership stands at 548, of which 85 are serving in the military.

November 21st, 1918 — notation at the end of meeting minutes: "for the succeeding four weeks there were no meetings on account of the health orders." [In 1918 there was an international Spanish flu pandemic which claimed between 30 and 50 million lives worldwide]

February 13th, 1919 — a committee was appointed to arrange for the Elks' part in the Fourth of July celebration and also the homecoming celebration for members in the service.

April 3rd, 1919 — the annual report by the Lodge secretary shows Lodge membership stands at 538.

April 10th, 1919 — the building committee reported a total of $39,700 had been spent in the construction of the Lodge building.  A total of $17,000 was provided by 142 members with whom the Lodge drew notes in the amounts of $100 to $300 each.

May 8th, 1919 — it was announced that on Sunday, May 11th there will be a Mother's Day program held in the Lodge.

June 5th, 1919 — an invitation was received from the Jackson County Red Cross to participate in the homecoming celebration [for those who served in the military] on July 4th.

July 3rd, 1919 — eight new members were initiated.  The Exalted Ruler and several members of Du Quoin Lodge attended the initiation ceremony.

October 2nd, 1919 — the semi—annual report by the Lodge secretary shows Lodge membership stands at 557.

November 13th, 1919 — 25 of the notes held by members were ordered paid, based on random drawing of 25 numbers and the notes associated with those numbers being paid.

December 4th, 1919 — meeting held in the library to conserve coal and lights.  No meeting to be held on December 11th for the same reason.

April 8th, 1920 — the annual report by the Lodge secretary shows Lodge membership stands at 544.

September 9th, 1920 — 16 new members are initiated during a visit by the District Deputy.

October 7th, 1920 — a committee is appointed to arrange for a program on the observance of Armistice Day.  The semi-annual report by the Lodge secretary shows Lodge membership stands at 561.

April 7th, 1921 — the annual report by the Lodge secretary shows Lodge membership stands at 551.

June 2nd, 1921 — multiple committees are appointed for a Flag Day celebration, including a committee for "automobile and parade" apparently meaning the automobile parade continues to be part of Flag Day for Lodge 572.

June 14, 1921 — 19 new members are initiated.

October 6th, 1921 — the semi-annual report by the Lodge secretary shows Lodge membership stands at 573.

October 13th, 1921 — a bowling committee is appointed to serve during the bowling season.

December 8th, 1921 — a committee is appointed to make arrangements for an indoor carnival and/or bazaar.

February 23rd, 1922 — the committee responsible for the bazaar reported on the event, which took place the week of February 6-11.  The bazaar included shows, dances, and raffles of numerous items including candy, baskets, blankets, and two automobiles: a Ford coupe and an Essex touring car.  The bazaar generated close to $3000.  A committee was appointed to arrange for the purchase of a memorial tablet to be paid for with the proceeds of the bazaar.

April 6th, 1922 — the semi-annual report by the Lodge secretary shows Lodge membership stands at 563.

April 24th, 1922 — a special meeting was held to discuss flooding in the Mississippi bottoms.  A committee of three members was appointed to investigate the area, relieving distress where possible, and authorized to set up a commissary in Jacob if the committee felt it was necessary.

October 5th, 1922 — the semi-annual report by the Lodge secretary shows Lodge membership stands at 569.

November 16th, 1922 — a motion is made and passed to give gymnasium paraphernalia owned by the Lodge to the local high school

December 14th, 1922 — a committee is appointed to organize a charity bazaar to be held in February.

January 4th, 1923 — a bill for $805 for stained glass is allowed to be paid [presumed for names in the memorial tablet]

February 15th, 1923 — a bill for an additional three names in stained glass for the memorial tablet is allowed to be paid.

April 12th, 1923 — the semi-annual report by the Lodge secretary shows Lodge membership stands at 550.  It also shows the amount of $2030.69 was spent over the last 6 months on the memorial tablet.

May 31st, 1923 — plans are made for a steamboat excursion out of East St. Louis to be held on June 13.

June 7th, 1923 — a committee is appointed to arrange for an automobile parade for Flag Day.

October 4th, 1923 — the semi-annual report by the Lodge secretary shows Lodge membership stands at 551.

October 11th, 1923 — a motion is made and passed to confer with local high school authorities and develop a competition for a university scholarship for a local high school student.  It was also decided to endorse the Boy Scout movement in Murphysboro.

November 15th, 1923 — a motion is made and passed to invest $100 in the Boy Scout movement.

January 3rd, 1924 — a committee is appointed to secure a "definitive plan" after a professor Todd had been consulted regarding a yearly competition for a university scholarship to be given to a high school student.  A motion is made and passed that an Elks carnival should be held in February, the proceeds to be used for the repairing, redecorating, and rehabilitation of the Lodge building and furnishings.

March 13th, 1924 — the carnival committee reported a net profit of over $3400.  The money was turned over to the trustees to carry out work on the Lodge building.  A committee was appointed to make arrangements for a steamboat excursion.

April 3rd, 1924 — the semi-annual report by the Lodge secretary shows Lodge membership stands at 528.

May 29th, 1924 — the Rotary club invited the Elks to attend a dinner with a representative of the Crippled Children Society.

July 24th, 1924 — the excursion committee reported the results of the year's steamboat excursion.  Lodge trustees instructed to secure bids for redecorating of the Lodge building.

October 23rd, 1924 — the semi-annual report by the Lodge secretary shows Lodge membership stands at 533.

December 4th, 1924 — the Lodge is invited to become a member of the Chamber of Commerce, which they accepted.

January 22nd, 1925 — a motion is made and passed to invite the Illinois State Elks Association to hold its annual convention in Murphysboro in June.

February 12th, 1925 — a motion is made and passed to sponsor a Boy Scout troop

February 26th, 1925 — a motion is made and passed to assist county nurse Mary Welsh in her work as one of the Lodge's charitable activities.  The carnival committee reports that proceeds of the carnival are approximately $2500.

March 12th, 1925 — a motion is made and passed to allow the Boy Scouts troop sponsored by the Lodge to use the basement of the Lodge for meetings once per week.

March 18th, 1925 — what became known as the Great Tri-State Tornado struck Murphysboro. [Widely considered the most devastating and powerful tornado in American history, the Great Tri-State Tornado ripped through Missouri, Illinois, and Indiana on March 18, 1925. In its 219-mile-long wake it left four completely destroyed towns, six severely damaged ones, 15,000 destroyed homes, and 2,000 injured. Most significantly, 695 people were killed, a record for a single tornado.] Although the top of the building was damaged, the Murphysboro Elks Lodge remained as one of the few buildings still standing in town. What happened afterwards was a true testament of what the Elks are about. An eye-witness account of the destruction can be found online at http://files.usgwarchives.org/il/jackson/newspapers/eyewitne88nnw.txt I highly recommend you read this account of the destruction that occurred. Additional newspaper stories about the destruction can be found at http://www.usgwarchives.org/il/jackson/jacksonnews.html

March 19, 1925 — [from the St. Louis Post Dispatch March 19, 1925] Members of the Elks' Club turned over their hall as an emergency hospital…

March 21, 1925 — [from the The Daily Independent Newspaper, Murphysboro, IL] Friday morning a large group of interested townsmen gathered at the Elks' Club, and took inventory of the situation…Governor Len Small made a hurried trip to Murphysboro and was present at the meeting in the Elks Club…

April 3rd, 1925 — a special meeting is held in city hall, as the Lodge building had been turned over for use in relief of the community after the Tri-state tornado devastated Murphysboro on March 18th.  It was decided to continue with plans to host the state association convention in June.

April 9th, 1925 — the semi-annual report by the Lodge secretary shows Lodge membership stands at 536.  Seven members are reported killed by the tornado.

April 23rd, 1923 — approximately 50 members are appointed to various committees related to the upcoming state convention to be held in Murphysboro.  It was decided to hold a public memorial service for the members who lost their lives in the tornado.

June 11th, 1925 — a check is received from the Elks state secretary for $969.00 and one from the Highland Park Lodge for $100.00 to be used for relief of tornado victims.

October 15th, 1925 — a motion is made and passed to hold an annual carnival.

October 22nd, 1925 — after being obligated to vacate their current location, the Red Cross is given use of the basement of the Elks home as their headquarters during the remainder of their work in Murphysboro.

October 29th, 1925 — John Norris, one of the founders of the Order and a member of the original Jolly Corks, was present at the meeting and spoke about the early days of the Order.

November 5th, 1925 — the committee appointed to assist Mary Welch was discharged as she had discontinued her work as a community nurse.

December 3rd, 1925 — a committee is appointed to arrange for a Christmas tree “for kiddies.”

December 17th, 1925 — plans are made to rent the Liberty Theater on Christmas afternoon for a free picture show for the children of Murphysboro.

April 22nd, 1926 — a report by the Lodge secretary included amounts received over the past year for relief of tornado victims and their sources: Grand Lodge: $300.00, subordinate lodges: $2715.50, state association: $969.00.  It also indicates payment by insurance company for damage to Lodge building in the amount of $1314.91.  Membership stands at 545.

May 13th, 1926 — Lodge secretary instructed to notify the junior class [of the high school] they can use the lodge room for their annual dance.

May 20th, 1926 — Lodge secretary instructed to notify the Eagles that the Elks building can be used during their upcoming convention.

September 10th, 1926 — a motion is made and passed that the trustees investigate the fire loss and damage to fixtures of March 18, 1925 [date of tri-state tornado].

October 7th, 1926 — the semi-annual report by the Lodge secretary shows Lodge membership stands at 548.

October 28th, 1926 — Lodge trustees instructed to borrow $1500.00 for current bills and weather-stripping for windows and doors of building.

November 4th, 1926 — a committee is appointed for Armistice Day parade.

December 9th, 1926 — a collection is planned for Christmas baskets to be distributed to the needy.

January 6th, 1927 — Brother Robert Smith died.  The Lodge had charge of the funeral, and services were held at the home.  Three members are reported to be at Mayo hospital in Minnesota.

January 13th, 1927 — Brother John Keough died.  The Lodge had charge of the funeral.

April 7th, 1927 — a motion is made and passed that officers failing to attend three consecutive meetings will be removed from office.

April 21, 1927 — 98 members suspended for non-payment of dues.

May 25th, 1927 — 35 notes held by members from construction of Lodge home are paid, and the Lodge secretary is instructed to place $100 in trustees fund each month for retirement of notes held by members.

May 19th, 1927 — Lodge trustees instructed to take up the matter of insurance claims that have not been paid for fire and tornado damage to Lodge building and take legal steps if necessary.

June 2nd, 1927 — Flag Day services will be held, including a parade.  The Eagles and American Legion will cooperate.

July 1st, 1927 — the annual report by the Lodge secretary indicates as of April 1 Lodge membership stands at 424.

August 4th, 1927 — trustees report more money was received from insurance because of co-insurance claims, but damage to furnishings and damage by fire was not paid for because no proof of loss was filed.

February 9th, 1928 — Lodge by-laws amended to reduce initiation fee from $50 to $25.  Next several meetings show multiple applications for membership.

March 29th, 1928 — 7 new members are initiated.

May 3rd, 1928 — 6 new members are initiated.

June 7th, 1928 — trustees report shows membership as of April 1, 1928 stands at 423.

September 6th, 1928 — motion made and passed to have a Christmas tree for the children.

November 1st, 1928 — the treasurer's report indicates membership as of October 1, 1928 stands at 429.

January 1st, 1929 — Past State President C. D. Midkiff of Harrisburg explained the Crippled Children’s Fund, with subordinate lodges giving 50 cents per member, 1000 Elks at the national convention giving $1000 each, and the Elks magazine giving $1 million.  Motion made and passed that Lodge 572 will give 50 cents per member.  9 new members are initiated.

February 28th, 1929 — Motion made and passed to invite the boy scouts to use the front room in basement for their meetings.

April 1st, 1929 — the annual report by the Lodge secretary shows Lodge membership stands at 394

April 25th, 1929 — 33 Lodge members are suspended for non-payment of dues.

July 25th, 1929 — special meeting held to discuss ways of raising the Lodge's quota for the crippled children's fund.

August 8th, 1929 — special meeting held to discuss ways of raising money for the Crippled Children's Fund.  Motion made and passed to hold a carnival.

October 3rd, 1929 — a motion was made and passed to take out a note for $172.90 to cover repair expenses to bowling alley.

October 5th, 1929 — report by carnival committee shows net profit from carnival of $421.09.